Wednesday, October 24, 2007

All in a days work !!

I feel powerless......today i was 30 min late into taking my regular train from kandivali to Bandra to reach work.

And boy does the rush hour kick in. I managed to get 4th seat even when I return from kandivali to Borivali.The rush from Borviali was also huge. I mean they filled in the standing space with 5 people in each row between the seats.There was hardly any air flow. The kind of feeling that you are locked in a Jar.

However the train departed at 8:35 AM from Borviali for Churchgate. It was a fast train. And as the stations arrived, more and more people squeezed in.......All routing you may say in the life of a mumbaikar.

Then at 9AM, Andheri station arrived and people boarded/Alighted. The rush eased a little and I could barely rest my ass on the 4th seat, so I got up and started moving towards the exit to alight at Bandra. Just when Vile Parle passed by a guy right behind me, fainted due to heat stroke...and all people around him in a periphery couldnt do anything to lift him up. The Train was jam packed, I could hardly move a step, I had a 5Kg Laptop in one hand and the other hand was latched on to the bars to support me from crowd pressure. All of us murmured a little to each other that someone should lift him and help him get out of the train when Bandra arrives. And all of us Helplessly, couldn't do anything. I was really SAD today. I could picture myself in that guys position and feel really worried, that there is absolutely no one who could help me when I might need it....

Alas in another 10mins time Bandra station arrived and we all except the fainted guy got down and moved on with our stinking lives. God help him !. All in a day's work you say ?

Then it was time to take on next hurdle towards reaching office. I have to board a 310 Best Double Deckker BUS opposite the Railway station. Its around 9:30 AM and the queue is 500 people long, long enough to stack 3 double decker buses and yet I wouldn't get my turn. Luckily the queue is well managed by BEST TCs and the buses ply every 2-5 mins during rush hour. So my turn to board the bus arrived at 9:45AM.

But again, all in a day's work.... Today someone must have complained to BEST , so there was a Special Officer, the one who wears the green uniform, also waiting at the BUS Stand. And there was a lady from the PRESS quibbing about lack of SPECIAL 390 route buses during the rush hour. The 390 Route buses are special buses which take the interior route once it passes Tata Colony, so people wanting to reach all those Banks, (SBI, BoB, Dena Bank, etc) typically 90% crowd in the bus can get off there.

The bus wasn't 390 route bus, but on constant nagging from the PRESS lady, the Special Officer instructed the Bus driver and Conductor to take the 390 route.All were happy I say...even if it saves those lame asses walk of some additional 10mins only. I honestly never realized any value with the 390 route.

The bus was so Jam packed that including me there were people standing on the stairway leading upto the upper deck....It was extremely uncomfortable, with bus turning and winding and also during bus stops where people wanting to alight and trying to nudge past you through the stairway to exit......

I wonder that 30 additional minutes that I spent home toady were worth all the pain....
Indeed in retrospect they weren't.
I am already sore near the shoulders and arms and my clothes are all wrinkled.
Shoes are all soiled with people stepping on my foot all the time.
All in a days work you say!

I now will always leave home by 7:10AM IST....else I need to formalize my plans on using my brand new Swift to work. Either ways those additional 30min spent back home were not worth it.....

1 comment:

Flypig said...

Everyone thinks their trip to office is bad. We have a guy who comes from Virar to Ghansoli to work. Despite having a slipped disc.
My own trip is far from fun. I have two possible routes.
1. Bus-Train1-Train2-Train3-Bus
2. Bus-climb footbridge-AC Bus-Bus
Currently using the 2nd. What will happen in the monsoon? Scared.